Learn how to set up a Shopify customer portal, also known as a Shopify customer account page.
With more than 150 million Prime subscribers, Amazon has been able to successfully capture customers and keep them engaged for the long-haul. Amazon’s retention strategy teaches other eCommerce brands a crucial lesson— win customer trust and loyalty by focusing on customer experience and providing an exclusive experience. For new and growing Shopify stores, the Shopify customer account page plays a huge role in delivering this personalized experience.
You may be wondering, how can a page that provides customers with their order details impact sales and increase customer loyalty?
In this guide, we’re helping you understand the potential in your Shopify customer account page, the benefits of customizing it, and the features you must consider enabling. But before we get into how to create Shopify account page, let’s look into what it is.
What is a Shopify Customer Account Page?
The Shopify customer account page is a default page set up on every Shopify store that gives customers details about their orders, including tracking links, if any, as well as saved addresses and personal information that is saved on the account.
The customer account page already creates value for the shopper. However, this page has the potential to do so much more, from building loyalty to increasing repeat purchases.
By default, Shopify stores have a generic customer account set up that is disconnected from the rest of the Shopify store design.
By leveraging this important page and placing more robust features like wishlisting and rewards, you can transform your customer account page and make it a personalized space for customers, letting them curate products that caught their eye and simplifying how they interact with your Shopify store and buy from you.
Let’s dip a little deeper to understand the benefits of a customized Shopify customer account profile.
Benefits of Customizing Your Shopify Customer Account Page
If you’re wondering why having a Shopify account for customers on your storefront is important, let’s look into the benefits quickly:
1. Personalized experience leads to higher engagement
A customized Shopify customer account profile taps into personalization features to make customers want to stay on the store for longer. With the features like browsing history and recommendations in place, your customer account page can enrich and personalize the experience that customers have.
Personalization has proven to increase engagement rates by 55% and improve brand perception by 39%.
2. Simplify repurchases
In most Shopify stores, shoppers who want to repurchase an item have to go through the tedious process of opening the product page before adding it to their cart. With a simple reorder button, shoppers can reorder items they want without going through the entire cycle of searching for the product on the site.
This seamless repurchase experience can make it easier for your customers to reorder items, enabling repeat purchases.
3. Allow customers to save items for later purchases
With a Shopify My Account page, customers can save items that they have their eye on within wishlists. This feature can help you shorten the purchase cycle, getting shoppers to come back and purchase the items they’ve already saved without them having to go through the extensive product catalog again.
4. Allow customers to track orders and understand customer behavior
The Shopify customize account page shows shoppers a detailed list of previous and current orders. Customers have an easier time looking at products they’ve bought and tracking orders that are on the way.
For the merchant, this allows you to understand the customer’s purchase behavior better, how different products are performing, seasonal purchase trends, etc. You can then use these insights to personalize your campaigns and send relevant communication that converts.
5. Build the need for buying with a loyalty program
75% of consumers say they favor companies that offer rewards. You can offer a rewards program through your customer account page, showing the different ways shoppers can earn rewards and gamifying the experience for them.
With a rewards program, shoppers will feel like they need to buy, to avoid losing out on the free rewards they earned. An assured way to earn more through your existing customers.
Additional read: Deep-dive into how online shoppers use Shopify customer account pages.
6. Build a rapport with customers
Amazon shoppers trust the eCommerce giant mainly because of how easy and secure the experience feels. The site helps shoppers find the right items they need at the right time, even giving them a dedicated space to build registries and wishlists.
You can set up this rapport building exercise that Amazon does for your own Shopify store’s customer account. By giving your customers a place of their own, you can make them familiar with your Shopify store, build a bond of trust with them, and build a rapport with them.
Customers can rely on this customer account page to have all the things they need to make an informed or a quick purchase, securely tucked away.
Benefits of Shopify customer account page for customers
If you thought the benefits of having a customer account were limited to gathering email addresses and customers’ names, you’d be surprised to know the many ways in which this page helps customers, makes their lives better, and shopping experiences enjoyable.
1. Customers know where to go to find information
The customer account page holds all the important information about customers—their personal details, addresses, payment details, past transactions, etc. When customers want to refer to any information, they know they can find it in the customer account page. This page helps avoid confusion and wasting of time looking for information.
2. Customers get an overview of their activities on your website
The Shopify customer account page typically includes many different features of the website, such as wishlist, recently viewed products, store credits, reward programs, among others. While these features may not be connected with each other, when seen side by side, it can make customers’ shopping experience more enjoyable and engaging.
3. Details auto-fill during checkout
One of the best benefits of registering on a customer account is that the details get saved and customers do not have to fill up the same details every time they place orders. This makes the checkout process quicker as the information stored gets auto-filled when they make purchases. Besides, customers’ login details too, get stored, and get auto-filled at the time of sign in.
4. Track orders and purchases
Most customers feel anxious or are eager to know the status of their orders. For example, as soon as they’ve placed an order, they want to know if the order has been placed successfully and processed. These are the times the customer account page helps ease their anxiety and build trust, too.
Customers can easily track the status of their orders from the time of purchase until delivery to their doorstep using the customer account. They can view real-time updates on order processing, shipping, and anticipated delivery dates once they have logged in. 87.4% of customers say real-time order tracking makes their shopping experience enjoyable.
Customers feel more confident about their purchases when there is this level of information-tracking. Additionally, customer accounts frequently offer the opportunity to track shipments with tracking numbers, allowing customers to closely monitor the progress of their products as they pass through various transit stages.
5. Track store credits and rewards
Customers can check details about their store credits or reward points alongside their order history and order status, providing a more clear picture on one single page. They can get a detailed transaction history, keep track of their points balance, and learn about the newest rewards or store credit promotions.
Additionally, the account frequently has user-friendly features like options for redeeming points, how to earn more points, goal-setting, etc. This way, customers can maximize their rewards and credit points.
6. Easily update details
Savvy customers like to manage their customer accounts on their own. By having a customer account they can easily log in and change their personal details when required. They can change their address, payment details, initiate product returns/exchanges, refunds, etc. via the customer account page. They do not need help from customer support for these tasks.
Features For a High-Converting Shopify Customer Account Page
Setting up such a high-converting and engaging customer account page is easy with a Shopify customer account app like Flits. However, on a more technical level, what features would you need to make your customer account page worth visiting and spending time on?
These 10 customer account page features can help you with the different goals you have on your Shopify store, whether you want to increase reorders, boost loyalty, or just simplify customer experiences.
1. Redesign and branded customer account look
First things first, you must redesign how your customer account page looks. Set up a Shopify customize account that looks like the rest of your Shopify store design and matches your brand. This can help you maintain your visual identity. If you have been wondering how to create login page in Shopify, this is the step you need to focus on.
Why it helps:
- A branded customer account can keep your store design consistent, building brand recall, and providing an integrated on-site experience.
- It will also enrich the customer experience, making your Shopify store more memorable and delightful.
2. Customer profile
Give shoppers a summary of the details they’ve shared with you and make them feel like a part of your Shopify store’s community with a sophisticated customer profile.
The customer profile is available within the default Shopify customer account page. However, you can ensure that the page reflects your branding better using Flits. This creates a consistent look and feel for your Shopify buyer accounts, making online shopping journeys more seamless.
Why it helps:
- Provide transparency over the information you have about the customer.
- Provide a personalized experience.
Recommended read: How to use custom fields to capture more customer information.
3. Order History
The default feature available on all customer account pages, order history lets you view your past orders, what you bought, how much you spent, and even see in-progress orders, and track their status.
Why it helps:
- Provide transparency over how customers access their order history.
- Lower post-purchase anxiety by allowing order tracking and making it real-time.
4. Reorder functionality
Besides looking at all the orders placed, one feature within the “Orders” page that can help customers with the reorder functionality. You can place a one-click reorder button to let your shoppers reorder items they bought in the past.
Why it helps:
- Simplify how shoppers place repeat purchases from your Shopify store.
- Turn a long process of ordering a past purchase into an easy one-click process, shortening the add-to-cart experience.
5. Saved Delivery Addresses
Let customers send gifts to family and friends as well as pick their default address with a nifty ‘Saved Delivery Addresses’ page.
21% of shoppers abandon their cart due to long / complicated checkout processes. Having saved delivery address information is sure to shorten checkout time and increase conversions.
Why it helps:
- Allow faster checkout and ensure shoppers don’t spend time entering details when ordering, simplifying the checkout experience.
- Lower cart abandonment by saving crucial address information.
Wishlists are one of the most powerful features available on a Shopify store, helping shoppers save items they like for a later buy. Once shoppers have saved an item, they can view their wishlist on their customer account page.
Why it helps:
- Allow shoppers to save items they would like to later come back to buy, improving customer experience.
- Shorten the time shoppers would take to buy on the second visit by letting them choose a list of shortlisted items they already had their eye on.
7. Recently Viewed Products
Let shoppers see products that you looked at during your last visit with a “Browsing History” or “Recently Viewed Products” page on their customer account pages. This way, shoppers won’t have to go through the entire catalog but instead, just go back to their browsing history to find the items they were looking for.
Why it helps:
- Allow easier trackbacks to past browsing.
- Ensure shoppers don’t have to go through the complete search process again.
8. Store Credits
Reward shoppers and built loyalty with a rewards program using store credits. Unlike loyalty points, store credits are more straightforward, showing customers exactly how much they earned in rewards.
You can set up different reward conditions and types of credits as well as communicate about these rewards whenever shoppers earn rewards or use them.
Why it helps:
- Gamify the experience of buying from your store.
- Associate your Shopify store with earning “reward”.
- Increase the lifetime value of customers.
9. Social Login
Social login improves conversion rates by 20 to 40%.
Social login lets you sign-in or register with one just click. It lets customers use their existing social profiles to create or sign in to their account, ensuring they don’t have to remember account details or go through password recovery in case they forget.
Why it helps:
- Increase customer registration.
- Avoid tedious processes like account or password recovery.
- Increased mobile conversions.
10. Referral Program
Incentivize your customers to refer others and earn rewards through this. Referral marketing is a powerful way to increase acquisition and with a referral program within your customer account page, it’s easier to capture new sign-ups!
Referral leads convert 30% better than leads generated from other marketing channels and have a 16% higher lifetime value.
Why it helps:
- Turn existing customers into brand advocates.
- Capture new sign-ups and customers without taking on extra costs.
- Acquire new customers who are more likely to turn into loyal shoppers.
Benefits of the Shopify customer account page based on industries
A one-size-fits-all approach may not work when it comes to marketing and promotions via your customer account page. And hence, we’ve put together industry-wise actionable ideas to help you maximize the results from your customer page.
1. Consumer electronics
The consumer electronics industry is growing at the rate of more than 14%. And eCommerce is the biggest contributor to this growth. In the consumer electronics marketplace, the Shopify customer account page plays a huge role in customers’ engagement and shopping experience.
Here’s how some of the components help provide a better experience to customers on consumer electronics eCommerce stores:
- Cost benefits via store credits to purchase expensive products: As electronic items are expensive, customers always try to find ways to reduce the costs. One of the ways to provide this benefit to customers is the store credits feature on the customer account page. Encourage customers to pay using part store credits and part cash.
- Use of wishlist: Customers looking for a specific item that’s out of stock or to be launched soon may add the product to their wishlist. Consider offering incentives and discounts on items in the wishlist to push sales.
For B2B transactions too, the customer account page has many benefits. To begin with, it helps ease the process of placing orders as the merchants’ details can be stored and auto-filled for placing orders. Here are some more use cases for wholesale Shopify stores:
- Reorder button makes repeat orders easy: Retailers tend to repeat orders from online wholesale stores for the same products. This is where the reorder feature comes in, making transactions convenient and faster.
- Wishlist: As wholesale products are sold in bulk, stocks also tend to get over soon. This brings in the use of wishlist. Retailers can add products and quantities in their wishlists. This gives the wholesaler preempt stock and avoid stock-outs.
3. Organic stores
Organic products are fresh, have a short shelf life, are available in limited quantities, and have a niche market. All these factors make it critical for eCommerce retail stores to use the customer account page well to give their customers a good experience. Let’s look at some ways to do so:
- Recently viewed products: This feature can help you engage customers with new products they might not have bought from your store before. By creating personalized campaigns, you can make customers’ purchase decisions easier.
- In addition, features such as wishlist, reward points, etc. can be beneficial in providing better value for their money to customers. Moreover, having the freedom and flexibility to make changes in their customer profile means they can keep their delivery address and payment details up to date.
4. Home decor and furniture
Expected to grow by $58.88 billion by 2026, the global online home decor and furniture market is highly driven by new design trends, a rise in online spending, and an increase in the use of mobile for shopping. And this is why, it’s a must to set up a customer account page for the home decor and furniture industry and optimize it.
- Use store credits strategically: Because furniture is something customers buy occasionally, use store credits or reward programs to attract more sales. For example, create campaigns that motivate customers to make purchases using their accumulated credit points. In addition, offer store credits in return for new referrals, so your contact list grows faster and consistently.
- Use social login: Since marketing furniture involves visuals, you can use social media platforms to market your brand. And so, you must enable social login to get access to customers’ social media details. Then, create campaigns to target them via social media.
5. Automotive industry
Automotive eCommerce involves the online purchases and sales of automotive components, vehicle spare parts, services, etc. Here are the reasons why your automotive business needs a customer account page.
- You can turn visitors into registered customers: When shoppers visit your Shopify store, use the opportunity to turn their visit into a sign up. That way, you can improve your sales potential.
- By having the customer account page and the reorder button, you can make repeat purchases of items such as loose spare parts, engine oils, and auto accessories easier.
But to be able to make the most of your customer account you first need to install an efficient Shopify customer account page app.
6. Food and beverage
The food and beverage online industry faces fierce competition with new brands emerging and promoting new products. And hence, it’s extremely important to encourage shoppers to register on your eCommerce site so you can increase customer loyalty and sales.
Let’s look at some ways to use the customer account page in the food and beverage eCommerce industry:
- Reorder: Since customers tend to repeat purchases of food items they prefer, you can create engaging campaigns around the reorder feature in your customer account. For example, discounts, combine it with store credits, etc.
- Wishlist: For items that are out of stock, create wishlist marketing strategies, such as bundling items in wishlist with recently viewed products. This will help boost sales and increase average order value.
Frequently Asked Questions About Shopify Customer Account Pages
How do I enable customer accounts on Shopify?
Shopify provides a default customer account page for every Shopify store. You can enable customer login by following these steps:
- Open your Shopify dashboard and click on “Settings”.
- Click on “Checkout” and navigate to “Customer Accounts”.
- Select “Accounts are required” if you want to make customer login mandatory.
- Click on “Save” to update your changes.
How do I enable customer login on Shopify?
Shopify lets you choose whether you want to enable and make customer account login mandatory or if you want to provide shoppers with an option to login as a guest.
However, if you want to simplify the customer login process, you can also set up a one-click registration process with social login. Social login lets your customers register or sign-in using their existing social media profiles like Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, etc.
How do I create a login and login page in Shopify?
Shopify’s dashboard provides a default login page for every Shopify store. You can enable login on your Shopify store through “Settings” on your Shopify dashboard, choosing whether you want your customers to create an account when they checkout.
Does Shopify have a customer portal?
Yes, Shopify comes with a default customer account page template. This typically includes just the customer profile and the list of orders they have placed; at all other times, this account page may appear impersonalised, leading to lower engagement rates. This is where apps like Flits come into play to offer customers an Amazon-like shopping experience.
What are some of the Shopify customer account page best practices?
Some of the Shopify customer account page best practices include offering an easy sign up process with shorter forms or login via social media, easy interactive UI and UX, ability to view and manage order history and reorders, easy management of customer profiles and so on. Apps like Flits help you follow the best practices with ease by offering pre-designed and editable Shopify customer account page templates – install the Flits app today.
Which industries can benefit from a Shopify customer account page?
The Shopify customer account page is beneficial for all the industries in the eCommerce industry. Here are some of the industries we looked into recently:
- Shopify customer account page for home decor and furniture brands
- Shopify customer account page for consumer electronics brands
- Shopify customer account page for automotive industry brands
- Shopify customer account page for health and wellness brands
- Shopify customer account page for fashion and apparel brands
- Shopify customer account page for jewelry businesses
- Shopify customer account page for food and beverage brands
Set up a better Shopify customer account page with Flits!
A better customer account page can help you provide an improved shopping experience, personalize suggestions, increase repeat purchases, and build customer loyalty. We hope this extensive guide helps you understand why you need a well-designed customer account page and how you can set one up with Flits customer account page.
Flits is the only Shopify customer account app that lets you transform your customer account page, customize the design, and add high-converting features like wishlisting, rewards, referral marketing, etc.
- How to localize your Shopify customer account page
- Customer lifecycle marketing to improve shopper experience
- How to add custom fields to your Shopify customer accounts page
- Ways in which a customer account page boosts buyer engagement
- How to protect your online store from fake customer account page sign ups and fake bots
- How is a customer account page different from a customer account hub