Learn How To Use Your Shopify Customer Account Page To Enable Personalization in eCommerce
You have a Shopify eCommerce site. You have excellent products and services. And you have a well-designed customer account page for customers to sign up. You also get steady customer sign-ups.
But what are the next steps you take after customers register on your Shopify site?
We’re guessing you use the data to create personalized campaigns and strategies.
If not, you could be missing out on many opportunities for your Shopify store.
In this article, we tell you all about personalization—how to think about it around your customer account page, and actionable strategies to apply.
The most important reason you should apply personalization strategies for your Shopify store is that customers love it and want it!
- 91% of consumers prefer to shop from brands that provide relevant recommendations to them
- 72% of consumers say they only engage with personalized messages
- According to Salesforce, a company’s understanding of customers’ personal needs influences 70% of consumers’ loyalty.
The above stats are driving eCommerce businesses to take personalization seriously. Ecommerce marketers are applying hyper-personalization marketing strategies. According to Forrester, 89% of digital businesses are investing in personalization. Here’s how personalization helps businesses:
- Personalization helps brands provide relevant experiences to customers as opposed to taking a generic, superficial approach
- Personalized messages and offers help increase customer engagement
- Engaged customers stay more loyal to the brand
- Personalization improves conversions and sales
- It helps increase website traffic and the average time spent on the website
- Personalized shopping experiences boost the average order value
- Personalized recommendations and discounts help increase repeat purchases
Whether you’re a customer or an eCommerce store owner or a marketer, you’ll agree personalization is important. But where do you begin? The answer is you start at your Shopify customer account page. Let’s learn how to in the next section.
While there is no one way to use the audience insights you get from the Shopify customer account page, here are some that we do recommend:
You might have a bank of data collected from your Shopify customer account page. But are you utilizing it properly? Are you collecting targeted information? More importantly, how are you putting that information to use?
Use data for Shopify customer segmentation
One of the first steps of personalization is customer segmentation. Looking at your data, segregate customers into different sections.
For example, if you want to market school bags, you’ll have to target parents. So, you must look for customers who’ve bought school bags before, or customers in a specific age group who might be parents.
Create personalized campaigns to target the segments
Once you have segmented customers, create personalized and targeted campaigns. When customers see communication relevant to their interests and likes, they get drawn into, engaged, and eventually, driven to convert (buy or sign up or fill out forms).
56% of online shoppers are more likely to return to websites that recommend products. Personalized recommendations can help improve engagement as well as sales. Here’s how you can personalize product recommendations based on information from your customer account page:
- Recommend products based on data about customers’ past purchases and browsing history
- Share recommendations based on customers’ location. For example, you could use location to recommend products related to weather conditions
- Recommend products based on popularity. For example, products that are most bought by other customers
- Share recommendations based on products in customers’ wishlists. For example, when there’s a sale, recommend wishlist products at discounted prices
According to studies, 50% of consumers are open to sharing information on products they like to get personalized discounts. Here are some ways to offer personalized discounts:
Offer a discount on the next purchase: When customers make a purchase, offer them a discount coupon or code for their next purchase. This way you can improve customer retention. You can send the discount code in the order confirmation emails or a separate email. You can also add the discount card to their cart. Another thing you could do is mention the discount code somewhere on the customer account page so that customers don’t forget about it or delete the emails and messages with the code.
Rekindle dormant customers via discounts: When you notice customers haven’t purchased from your site in a long time, send them discounts. Send them emails and messages via SMS, WhatsApp, or Messenger so that they do not miss the discounts.
Special discount to your most loyal customers: Treat your most valued customers with the best discount offers. This will help you retain them for longer. From your Shopify customer account page, take into account their purchase history, items in the wishlist, Shopify rewards program, store credits, etc., and offer discounts that are too hard to resist.
Celebrate customers’ important days: Think birthdays, anniversaries, customers’ anniversaries with your brand, etc. and offer them discounts on those days. You can find all these dates on the customer account page.
Your Shopify login page is one of the first places customers go to when they land on your website. You can enable the social login feature and take eCommerce personalization to another level. Here’s how:
- Enable social login and sign up to make registrations faster and easier—77% of consumers prefer social login to lengthy form-filling
- Once customers register via their social accounts you have the information of their social accounts from where you can extract more information to know them better
- You can also retarget customers on their social media accounts, making their experience more personal
- Use social media messengers to send updates, alerts, and announcements
Wishlists allow customers to create personalized lists of products they like, and save them for the future. They might want to take time to decide whether they want to buy them or wait for the products to go on discount.
Here’s how you can create a personalized experience around wishlists:
- Allow customers to name their wishlists, for example, John’s wishlist
- Allow customers to create multiple wishlists, for example, a wishlist for Christmas, a general wishlist, a birthday wishlist, etc.
- Offer discounts on items in customers’ wishlists to motivate them to make purchases
- Allow customers to share the wishlists with their friends and family
- Make wishlists a part of the customer account page
- Use pop-ups to boost the use of wishlists, for example, when customers are moving away from the wishlist page if a product has been restocked, etc.
6. Rewards program personalization
One of the best marketing strategies for eCommerce businesses is Shopify rewards programs or store credits. And it can be further personalized. These strategies make customers come back to your site.
But every other eCommerce site offers rewards programs that offer the same benefits. So customers are no longer attracted unless your reward program is unique. And how do you create a program that stands out?
Try these rewards program eCommerce personalization tactics:
Loyalty program gamification: Gamification can help brands personalize the customer experience and increase engagement. You can try tier-based gamification programs, connect the programs to social media and target customers on social platforms, give badges, etc.
Example: Sephora gamified loyalty program: It creates a feeling of competitiveness among customers, encouraging lower-tier customers to buy more to reach higher tiers. Exclusive offers and early access incentives motivate customers to engage and participate more in the program.
Make it easy for customers to track their rewards: It’s important to remind customers of their rewards—how many they have collected, what’s the next level they’d need to reach to avail of special benefits, and how to use the rewards. Enable rewards-tracking on your customer account page. Send them personalized messages to tell them how they can use their rewards. If you have a gamified loyalty program, tell them how they can win or earn more benefits.
Another way to bring together personalization and the customer account page is to install the reorder feature. When you make customers’ purchase experiences better, they feel good about it and it reflects in increased sales.
Here’s how to use the reorder button to personalize customer experience:
- Enable the reorder feature
- Make the reorder feature a part of the Shopify customer account page by having it in the purchase history list for all products
- Track items that customers reorder
- Send them periodic reminders to place reorders
- Offer discounts for reorders
- You can also offer reward points
All these tactics help make customers feel that your brand is personally engaged and invested in their convenience and purchase journey.
When customers shop online, they often tend to look at and compare many products. And it can be tedious to keep track of all the products they browsed. That’s where the ‘recently viewed products’ feature comes in.
Customers can use this section to refer to products they liked while browsing. This is a feature that helps provide a highly personalized experience to customers. Here’s how:
- Remind customers of products they viewed by displaying this section while they’re shopping
- Make it a part of the customer account page so that customers know where to find it
- Offer real-time incentives such as discounts on these products to boost sales
- Send personalized chat messages if the items are low-stock so customers can make purchase decisions faster
A growing trend Shopify stores should look out for is—automated personalization. As eCommerce businesses scale, it’s practically impossible for digital marketers to attend to each customer individually.
That’s where automation comes in to drive success. Here’s how you can automate tasks on your customer account page to provide better personalization:
- Install an efficient Shopify customer account page app that has automation capabilities
- Automate personalization tasks such as product recommendations, messaging campaigns, etc.
- Set up automation for all repetitive tasks, for example, sending reminders for reorders
With the use of artificial intelligence, you can improve your automation capabilities for personalization. AI helps collect and analyze data quickly and more efficiently. AI can help your Shopify business scale faster and reach your marketing goals more efficiently.
To get started, you’ll need to install an efficient Shopify customer account page that offers in-built personalization capabilities. From customization of the customer account page to features such as wishlist and reorder, your customer account tool should have high levels of capabilities.
Flits Customer Account Page App is a preferred app for Shopify merchants across industries. The app provides add-on features and is built to grow businesses as they scale.