For online stores, one of the most important features on the site is the Shopify customer account page.
This is the page that holds all important information about customers. And this is where you can get to really understand your customers.
However, to be able to reap the real benefits from the customer account page, you have to provide all the important fields that will help you extract maximum information.
Basic features such as personal details and order history will only provide minimal details. These are just sufficient for sign up. But your aim should be to extract the maximum information about your customers.
- What do you know and not know about your customers?
- Does that data help you deliver personalized customer experiences?
- Are you able to process that information to understand customers’ behavior?
To be able to do all the above, you need to encourage customers to share more about them – their likes, preferences, buying patterns, wishlist, etc. And for that, you have to provide more features in the customer account.
Here are the features that we recommend for your Shopify customer account page.
72% of customers engage with personalized messages from brands. And the most basic form of personalization is to address customers by their name.
While the first name is more commonly used, when the message is formal, the best practice is to use both first and last names.
Here are two examples – one with name-based personalization, and one without it:
1. Hi! Our latest collection has just launched and it’s now available on our site!
2. Hey Jenny, we’re thrilled to share our latest collection with you. We’re sure it’s something that you’d love. So take a peek at it now!
Doesn’t the second example sound more appealing?
That’s because, according to psychology, our brains become active and ecstatic when we hear or read our name.
Name-based personalization works in many ways:
- It helps humanize your interaction
- It adds personality to your message
- It makes the message feel more approachable
- Helps build an emotional connection with customers
- It helps grab the customers’ attention
Personalizing customer experience by using customers first and last names is the smallest and most simplest thing to do. But it can go a long way.
So, if you aren’t collecting your customers’ first and last names via your customer account page, you must start today!
You might be sending wishes to your customers during festivals. But what about their birthday? It is one of the most special days for customers; and for brands, an opportunity to engage them.
Birthdays are special occasions and you can be 100% sure that your customers will read your message. And so, don’t forget to provide a field to collect their birthdates.
And here’s how it will help:
- It makes customers feel special and appreciated
- It helps build loyalty
- Birthday’s can be used as milestones of customers’ relationship with the brand
- Birthday offers and discounts have a high conversion rate
- It activates reciprocity – when customers feel good that you offered them a special discount, they’d want to give back by making a purchase
- Birthday personalization messages can help build trust
Some ways to surprise customers on their birthday with personalized messages:
- Offer them a discount
- Give them a gift relevant to your brand – store credits
- Share a limited time offer exclusively for them
You can do all the above and more provided you collect your customers’ birthdates in your customer account page.
Another special day for customers is their anniversary. There are many anniversaries in a year. For example, wedding anniversary, professional/ work anniversary, and annual anniversaries of your customers with your brand – the day your customers signed up on your site.
If you aren’t already asking customers to add their anniversary dates in the customer account page, you should. Here’s why:
- It’s an opportunity to build a personalized connection with customers
- You can increase your customer base by extending wishes to your customers’ partners (for wedding anniversary)
- Grow customer loyalty
- Your customers’ anniversary with your brand can be used as a milestone to create personalized campaigns
Imagine sending a promotional message for your products and not knowing the gender of your customers. This can be especially embarrassing if you sell products such as clothes and accessories.
Not just male and female, conscious brands also consider LGBTQ community in their marketing campaigns. 40% of people from the LGBTQ community said they feel positively towards brands that have themes relevant to them, in their campaigns.
Here’s how knowing your customers’ gender can help you:
- It helps personalize better
- It helps optimize return on your marketing budget and decrease waste of resources
- It helps craft a more effective marketing strategy
- It helps your business tap into new markets or products
- You can send personalized recommendations
- You can run relevant campaigns for the different gender segments
So now you know how beneficial it can be to provide a field in the customer account where customers can add their gender.
You may think that the only purpose of collecting customers’ addresses is to deliver their orders. But you’re wrong.
Think about how easy Amazon makes it for you to place orders for yourself, friends and family members. Once you enter a new address in Amazon, it remains stored in your customer account.
By allowing customers to add multiple addresses in their customer account page, you can have many benefits.
- You can send them location specific promotional campaigns
- It helps you effectively manage your back-in-stock strategy
- It helps make placing orders faster and easier
- It makes it easy for customers to manage their multiple addresses
- It can make curb-side pick-up easier to manage
You might think that providing a separate section for customers’ billing addresses is a waste. But it isn’t.
The billing address helps identify information when payments are made via cards. Besides, some customers simply prefer to keep billing and delivery addresses separate. It’s possible that a customer wants the delivery to someone else and hence, prefers a separate billing address.
Here’s why you should offer a separate billing address field in the customer account page:
- It enables customers to modify their billing address separately if they need to
- It helps speed up order placing
- It enables customers to record different addresses
- It makes it easy to order products as gifts and sent to other addresses
And collecting email addresses is one of the most basic parts of online marketing strategies.
Here’s how you can leverage your customers’ email addresses:
- Email is one of the most personal channels to connect with customers and can help grow engagement rate
- 92% of people use email and most customers would share their email addresses. You can use email marketing to grow your other lists such as SMS, social media, Messenger, etc.
- When you provide an email field in the customer account, customers can easily update their email addresses
- Over 80% of the population has a mobile phone
- 98% of text messages get opened
- 90% of text messages get read within 3 seconds of receiving them
- 70% of customers are willing to share their mobile numbers
These statistics show how important it is for eCommerce businesses to collect phone numbers. And making it a part of your customer account page is equally helpful.
Here’s how it helps:
- It allows customers to update their contact number themselves
- Sign-in into customer account via phone number is easier and faster
- It enables you to run SMS marketing campaigns
- You can provide prompt customer service on phone
- SMS marketing has higher conversion rates than email
- You can use SMS to draw attention to other channels such as email, social media, etc.
Another important feature to include in your customer account page is social accounts. When customers sign up, you can allow them to sign up via their social media accounts.
One of the best advantages of allowing social login is a greater opportunity to personalize. Just think about the kind of information you’d be able to access from customers’ social accounts – starting from their demographic information to their interests, location, etc. All this information will allow you to personalize their experience much better.
There are many more benefits of social login:
- Customers don’t have to fill out lengthy sign-up forms
- Customers don’t need to remember passwords
- You can gather more accurate data (88% of people enter wrong information)
- Run marketing campaigns on social media
- Recovering login information is easier for customers
Here’s an example:
To enable social login, use Flits app.
As an online marketer, you’d want to know as much as possible about customers. Information about past orders, purchase behavior and personal details such as address and contact is one thing, but what if you could get information that would allow you to drive customers’ future actions on your site?
It’s possible! Through the wishlist feature.
Wishlist is where customers can add products that they are interested in but aren’t willing to buy at the moment. Or they could be products that are out of stock.
40% of customers think their shopping experience would be better if retailers provided wishlists where they could save items.
And what better place to include the wishlist feature than the customer account? After all, this is the page that all customers head to when they need to refer to their past interactions on your website.
You can use information from wishlists in many ways:
- Capture data about customers’ interests and use it for marketing campaigns
- Run targeted marketing campaigns to drive purchases from wishlists
- Allow customers to share wishlists with their friends and family
- Run special promotions connected with the wishlist feature
Enable wishlist feature on your Shopify customer account page with Flits app.
If you don’t yet know enough about your customers, it’s time to add more fields/ features in your customer account page.
By adding the above fields, you’ll be able to gather enough information to help you run your business better. At the same time, make your customers’ experience better on your site.
To enable all the above features, set up your Shopify customer account page with Flits.