Learn how to increase traffic to your Shopify store — for newly launched and established eCommerce businesses.
With more than 30% of sales happening online, and eCommerce stores multiplying day by day, you can imagine the immense amount of competition amongst online stores.
Every retailer wants a piece of the pie.
But before sales and conversions is one of the most important steps — to bring shoppers to your Shopify store.
How do you attract traffic? How do you increase website traffic for established brands? And how do you spread awareness about your new store?
You will need to use different marketing strategies.
If you want to learn the strategies to increase Shopify store traffic in 2023, read what we have shared in this blog.
Tactics to increase Shopify store traffic – existing stores with high competition
In this section, you’ll learn how to increase traffic to your existing Shopify store. Even though your store may be established, you can attract more visitors by following these tips:
1. Social media ads
More than 60% of the world’s population uses social media. And 40% of people say social media has an influence on their shopping. You can utilize this sizable user base to generate traffic for your eCommerce website by running paid ad campaigns on your social media platforms.
Here are some tips for your social media ads campaigns:
- Define clear goals before setting up your campaigns
- Choose the social platforms where you can find your target audience
- Set a budget for your social media ad campaigns
- Create attractive content, which is also helpful to customers
- Experiment via A/B testing strategy
- Monitor and measure the campaign performance
- Experiment with different ad forms such as video, carousel, stories, etc.
- Stay consistent and invested
2. Segmented marketing
Segmented marketing is an approach where you target and engage a specific group of your customers. For example, instead of promoting a high-value product to your entire customer list, you collate a list of your high-value, loyal customers, and promote the product only to them.
You could create campaigns on email, WhatsApp, social media, etc., to reach out to these customers with your promotional message.
This way, the probability of more targeted customers reaching your website and product pages is higher.
Here are some ideas to segment your customers:
- High-value customers
- Customers who abandon carts
- Loyalty program customers
- Customers who use store credits a lot
- One-time customers
- Inactive customers
- Customers who browse a lot but don’t buy
- Customers who wait for discounts and sales
- Customers who buy less but regularly
The above are just some of the segments you could create and then create relevant marketing campaigns to target them. You could identify many such different segments based on customer patterns and behavior on your Shopify store.
3. Customer loyalty programs
For established stores, loyalty programs can be extremely helpful to increase Shopify traffic. Why? Because you already have some customers who like your product/ brand. You already have built relationships with them. All you need is opportunities to connect, re-connect, and engage with these customers. That’s what loyalty programs can help you do.
Here are some cues for your customer loyalty program:
- Choose the program based on your customers’ preference
- Consider different types of programs: store credits, reward points, subscription, membership, etc.
- Be consistent with your program
- Keep introducing something new and exciting, for example, gamified loyalty programs
- Add value beyond points — community, exclusivity, feel-good, do-good elements, etc.
4. Content marketing/ SEO
SEO and content marketing is a cost-effective digital marketing method that enables you to engage with your audience, regardless of the size of your business or budget. In addition to increasing interaction and brand recognition, an SEO-optimized website can help your company secure more media spots.
Follow these best practices for content marketing:
- Keep you content fresh, updated, and relevant based on search engine algorithm rules
- SEO and content marketing is not a one-time activity; stay consistent
- Create high-quality content with depth
- Share content on the right platforms
- Identify your goal before you craft your content marketing plan
5. Get deeper into personalization
If your Shopify business is old and somewhat established, you’ll have a sizable number of customers. While you might want to attract more new customers, you also have a big advantage of having loyal customers. And you should leverage this advantage by personalization strategies.
Let’s explore how Adidas approaches personalization via its website:
Adidas registered customers can create profiles where they can save their favorite items to wishlists. This helps the brand recommend relevant products, content, and offers. The brand’s Creators Club Loyalty Program centralizes customers’ preferences, wish lists, order history, etc., helping personalize customer experience across its channels. In addition, initiatives such as the Runtastic app helps engage customers and collect more data.
Here are some ideas:
- Create a strong personalization marketing plan
- Take a deeper approach to customer segmentation
- Create one-on-one engagement opportunities to build stronger relationships
- Provide one-on-one, human-to-human support and shopping assistance to customers
The best way to bring customers to your store is to stay connected with them. And the best way to stay connected? Automate communication.
For example, new customers might add items to their carts and leave the site, or customers might forget about their accumulated store credits.
Incorporate automation into your Shopify marketing strategies to increase website traffic.
Here are some ways to use automation:
- Send automated order updates – order packed, dispatched, delivered, etc.
- Create drip campaigns with automated messages to bring back abandoned cart customers
- Send automated messages to inactive customers
- Create real-time automation strategies
Tactics to increase traffic – newly launched stores
Newly launched eCommerce stores have a bigger challenge to spread awareness and bring in visitors because people don’t know about your presence. Hence, you will have to use different strategies to increase your Shopify website traffic. Here are some tips that work:
1. Optimize your Shopify store
Your new online store may have the best of products. But the problem is no one knows about its existence. Hence, you will have to spread the word and ensure it gets discovered by people.
The best way to do this? Optimize your site for search engines via SEO.
SEO can drive 10 times more traffic to your eCommerce store. Let’s look at some ways to optimize your site:
- Make SEO a key part of your new store’s marketing plan
- Conduct keyword research and identify the best performing keywords
- Stay consistent with SEO; do not take a one-time approach
- Depending on your product and industry, consider SEO rich blogs, case studies, landing pages, SEO-optimized website copy, etc.
2. Content marketing
Content marketing involves creating content and publishing it on different platforms to ensure your target audience sees it. For new stores, content marketing can help in many ways:
- To spread brand and product awareness
- To educate customers about your products/ services
- Build new relationships
- Establish brand personality and story
- Create communities
Here’s how to go about content marketing for your new Shopify store:
- Create a plan for your content marketing
- Determine an end goal for your content marketing campaign
- Include different content forms, such as blogs, social media, articles, video, podcast, ebooks, paid ads, infographics, etc.
- Create content to help you meet your goal
- Monitor and analyze performance and optimize
- Put consistent effort and resources into content marketing
3. Paid ads
Even though yours is a new site, you would still want to reach out to a targeted audience. And that’s where paid ads come into the picture. With paid ads, you can reach your target audience faster.
You can run paid ads on various platforms — search engines, social media, third-party websites, etc.
Here are some cues to get started with your paid ad campaigns:
- Identify your target audience and set parameters instead of targeting anyone and everyone
- Create different goals and goal metrics; for example, awareness, lead generation, traffic, etc.
- Select your campaign types; for example, search, discplay, or social ads
- Set up analytics and tracking
- Monitor performance and optimize
Here’s an example of an add on YouTube
4. Affiliate and influencer marketing
Influencer and affiliate marketing tactics help new online stores find audience and customers, and hence, are amongst the best strategies to drive traffic to your Shopify store.
Follow these tips to make the most of your influencer/ affiliate marketing plan:
- Find relevant and quality influencers and affiliate platforms
- Depending on your product and industry, select between macro or micro influencers
- Make your influencer campaign exciting and interesting
- Be consistent with your affiliate program and manage it well
5. Build your customer, first-party list
One of the best approaches to take for your online business is to think long-term. And one of the most basic and easiest ways to do this is to build your customer contact list from scratch — one customer at a time. Over the next few years, your customer database will grow and become your most valued resource/ asset.
Here are some tips to build your customer list:
- Collect details of every customer and visitor
- Make customers sign up on your Shopify store
- Collect their personal details so you can know them better
- Segment customers into different lists
- Think of ways to collect customer contact details: newsletter sign up, contests, social login, loyalty programs, etc.
- Always stay compliant with consumer privacy and data regulations
6. Create a community
Another effective strategy to drive traffic to Shopify stores is to incorporate a community vibe into your brand personality.
- Create a community page on your website or social media channels
- Encourage first-time visitors to view the pages via pop-up messages
- Create a newsletter and encourage first-time visitors to join
- Promote community page, newsletter, etc. on social media to increase website traffic
- Incorporate all channels into your community — social media, WhatsApp, apps, offline events, etc.
- Create authentic experiences for community members to attract more people to join
Increase traffic to your Shopify site by 2X
If you want to succeed in the competitive eCommerce market, you must put in efforts to increase traffic to your website.
However, you must look at targeting the right type of consumers. Trying to attract a wide range of consumers might not work well for your product or industry.
Hence, use the above strategies to ensure you have enough traffic to consistently scale your Shopify business.
If you want more ideas to drive traffic to your website, don’t forget to subscribe to our blog!